Friday, April 11, 2008

Sealing Paint Cans

Like many people, I save partially used paint for touch-ups or the next project. However, when I come back, it has often partially dried out. I tend to use water based paints both latex and enamel. I also use moisture cure urethanes and for these, resealing is critical. Sometime, much time passes before I use the paint again, so that makes things worse as well.

Now I do three things that seem to help.

First, I open cans with much greater care. If the metal lid gets bent during opening, then it does not seal as well. It takes longer to pry to lid off a bit at a time as you work around the circumference, but I think it pays off. Wide pry tools also work better than really skinny ones. Of course, if I know that I don't need to save the can, I pry away with glee.

Second, I spend a bit of time cleaning out the groove in the can before I replace the lid. This helps especially if you need to use and then reseal the can several times.

Third, I use plastic. Sometimes I use an adequately sized clear plastic food bag. More recently I have switched the Glad Press'n Seal wrap. I place the plastic film over the can and tap the lid back on. My theory is that the plastic film needs to be of the type type that can stretch a bit.

I think it works by filling in the small gaps that tend to occur between the lid and the can.

No matter what, the paint will eventually become useless. But this has extended the shelf life for me.

Rick

1 comment:

Traveller said...

I love your blog. It's witty and informative...sort of like you in real life!