Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Squeaky Wheel - Not a Grease Problem

We have a 1996 Honda Odyssey that we bought used a few years back. On a trip a bit over a week ago, it developed a right front squeak that came and went. It would go away with light or firm brake pressure. Sometimes it came back and sometimes it did not. At higher speeds, it disappeared completely and then returned again after making a stop.

So, I took the right front wheel off and found that I had worn rotors (thickness under specification by quite a lot) and thin brake pads. Maybe the problem and maybe not. On Friday I bought a new pair of rotors and a set of brake pads. Later on the weekend I installed them. A mostly straightforward process. (Note to self: It is generally better to start off with a six point socket especially on suspension and brake parts.)


So what about the squeak? These Honda brake pads have a creative wear indicator design. The little U shaped metal loop visible on the right brake pad shown below acts like a crude one-bad-note musical instrument whenever the pads get thin. When thin, the metal loop rubs on the turning rotor and it plays its only available note.


The pad on the left had the same loop but it must have broken off just the day before the replacement. (Photo taken with my cell phone and then image improved using GIMP.)

The problem is solved but I remain slightly puzzled. It seems like it should have squeaked when I applied the brakes and not when I let off.

Rick

No comments: