Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Laptops

Fellow Rotarian's arranged for the donation of a quantity (more than 80) of used corporate laptops. None had disk drives or power supplies and there was a mix of models.

I took the project of getting them back to operating condition. It has been quite a project. About half were the same manufacturer and model (Toshiba M2) , so I started with those.

Some have swappable parts and others are hopelessly broken. All the steps to get these working again is a long story that involved a local used computer store, ebay, and a lot of trial and error.

It turns out that there was a way to get these to work again after all and so for I have completed 10. Shown below are units 7 through 10 that I completed just this morning.


Through connections in our Rotary club, we are getting these to El Salvador. Shown below is a scholarship student with one of the earlier laptops that I completed a few months ago.


I set these up with an "English" and "Espanol" user logins. I used OpenOffice 3.0 with a Spanish language pack for word processing and spreadsheets. It automaticaly switchs languages by the login type. I also installed the Spanish version of the Firefox internet browser. They turned out rather well. Time to make more.

Rick

No comments: